Monday 4 March 2013

A brief chat with MD madeleine brands: pamper youself you deserve it!!







Q: Hey people want to introduce to you the MD  at Madeleine Tolu Awodiya


Q: Thank you for agreeing to this interview on Simply business…..
R: Thanks for having me.



Q: Can we meet Tolu ?
R: As said, my name is Tolu. 5 foot 7 inches of African goodness LOL.


Q: Could you state your educational background, personality passion hobbies, as well as attractions and dislikes e.t.c
R: Studied Business Information Systems at Bowie State University, MD, USA.

Q: why did u choose to be an entrepreneur?
R: I didn’t chose to be an entrepreneur rather, it chose me. I always had the idea I’d have my own business(es) as far back as I can remember. I think primary 1, when a teacher flogged the whole class for no serious reason. LOL. I thought : I’ll own a school and only discipline bad children.
I also sold kerosene at some point, maybe 9 or 10 years old. I grew up with a mother who knew how to turn everything to fill a need. So, it chose me.

Q: what drew you into production of beauty products?
R: I don’t call them beauty products, I prefer ‘Personal Care’ because that’s what they are. The products take care of you, your body and comfort while making you feel & look beautiful, that’s a plus. I had the idea to create a line of personal care products about 6 years ago, 2006 mostly because I love having an array of products in the same fragrance and I didn’t have much opportunity to do that in Nigeria or they were much more expensive than expected. So I decided to create mine.

Q: What part of business do you have passion for?
R: The development part. I love the work that goes into, for example, Madeleine product creation. It is a stressful and complicated and beautiful process.

Q: How did you come about the name and concept Madeleine?
R: Madeleine (Ma-di-line) is the French version of Magdalene. It means fortress, majestic, royal. It is also the city The Lady of Myrrh hailed from. She anointed Jesus’ feet with Myrrh ( a very expensive & luxurious perfume)



Q: How has the journey been so far, taking into consideration the deterrents to starting and building an business in Nigeria’s harsh economic conditions, been a new start up?
R: Journey has been interesting and arduous. Starting a business in this time must be one of the hardest and seeming most foolish things to do given the state of the economy and the average Nigerian’s attitude towards anything Nigerian.
It has indeed been interesting and nerve wracking, I must say. Personal Care businesses don’t especially follow our model in Nigeria, so it’s safe to say we’re one of the first to employ this model in Nigeria that can be compared with Victoria’s Secret and/or Bath and Body Works.
Q: How have people’s reception been so far to your products?
R: Oh my! People love everything about our products, men and women alike. They love our bottles/packaging with detailed information, the content, the fragrance types and prices.
We have received quality positive feedback and suggestions that we are putting to good use.

Q: What challenges are you currently facing in growing your company and what are the steps you re taking to solve them?
        R: Challenges are everywhere and I think Nigerians generally rise above numerous daily. We are faced with an economy not especially favorable to personal care products not sold in the mainstream market, although that is gradually changing.


Q: Have you had prior experience or other businesses you run?
R: LOL. Oh yes, I used to sell Kerosene! I bought a gallon for N21 at seven bottles per gallon. I sold each at N3.5 until prices went up. LOL.
Apart from that and a few other minor ones I will talk about later, this is my first big venture.

Q: What do you think the government can do to help the growth of the private sector, small and medium scale enterprises and entrepreneurs in general?
        R: The government can ensure, via laws and regulations, there are loans in banks and other finance houses at low rates for small businesses.

Q: Can you talk briefly on all your products and why we need them over other products?
        R: We have 6 fragrances and 6 product types, for now.
        Lily Lustre scent carries our only Antibacterial Hand soap. – Arabian Magic has blackberry as its most significant note & MiraBelle has strawberry as its, in ‘Body Lotions|Body Splash|Body Butter| Shower Gel’.  – KISS by Madeleine is a citrus blend while sensual BLISS has raspberry and musk in Body Lotion|Body Splash|Bubble Bath sets. Last but not least, we have Forever Yours, a blend of coconut and vanilla in Body Lotion|Body Splash| Shower Gel.
The products offer you personalized care, most especially the Body Splash which gives the user a particular body scent.
The products have been carefully designed, manufactured and priced with every desire and budget in mind.
Buy Nigerian. LOL


Q: What does it take or can you explain the process it takes to produce a bottle of say “Mirabelle” From raw state to finish and then delivery?
R: It takes a great deal of effort, dedication and ability to have fun! You have to decide what kind of fragrance, in MiraBelle: Strawberries and other useful constituents such as Vitamin E and Aloe.
There are many pieces to the pod but we shall not give away trade secrets. LOL.


Q: What’s your comment on the fashion and beauty industry in Nigeria as compared to the U.S and other countries, what do you think we need to work on?
        R: We have seen much growth in that industry in the last decade or so. I applaud those who grab the bulls’ horns daily as it is a hard market in Nigeria with the economic travails. We are doing well, getting recognized outside the continent and being patronised.
We need to work more on originality and ensure our products, especially the fashion part, are wearable off the runway.


Q: How did you meet Christ?
        R: He met me first.



Q: How has your faith helped in starting and running the company?
        R: Faith being the substance of the unseen products & the evidence of complete patronage.

Q: Who has inspired or been a mentor  through this whole process , apart from God! we know he’s our backbone?
R: I know this is cliché but my Mom is my biggest cheerleader. She is my inspiration and my chief motivator.

Q: Which other businesses or  leaders have inspired you?
R: They are too many to list. I draw inspiration from all things.


Q: Where do you see yourself and madeleine in the next 5 – 10 years?
R: I’ll pick 5 years for now: Madeleine in at least five African countries and 2        countries outside these shores.


Q: Im sure a lot people would want to know your relationship status, are you single, engaged or married?
        R: LOL. I am single, for now. J

    guys did u y'll hear that! hehehe.....

Q: What are the qualities you want in your man?
        R: He has to be patient because I’m flighty. He also has to be solid. To me, that means dependability, stability and security. He has to love Christ more than I do.




Q: What’s your advice to young people out there who want to start up but don’t know their way around
        R: 1. Habakkuk 2: 2
            2. Pray
            3. Seek Counsel.








No comments:

Post a Comment